Senior Service Coach & Trainer
Now approaching three decades of experience specializing in HVAC Service Operations Management, Jennifer Shooshanian is one of the most knowledgeable and accomplished service performance experts in the United States. She entered the HVAC industry in 1991 and began working for Jacob’s Heating and Air for 13 years.
Based on a ground-floor start and many roles across multiple departments, she developed operational experience with breadth and depth in service operations as well as the inter-workings of other operations departments.
Since joining BDR as a Trainer and Service Coach in 2003, Jennifer has conducted 400+ service training classes across the United States and Canada. She has coached 250+ service departments ranging in size from three to 80 Service Technicians in all market types and sizes.
Jennifer has experience in Residential and Commercial Service operations, and many of her clients venture beyond HVAC into Plumbing, Refrigeration, Electrical, and other related fields. Many clients have complex, highly diversified companies with multiple branch locations and distributed or centralized office operations. Jennifer is also an expert in service operations accounting and performance analytics. She is outstanding at communicating financial performance with little to no accounting knowledge to department managers. This is a key training and coaching skill of Jennifer’s that gains buy-in from reluctant Service Managers, so she can teach them how to win.
What sets Jennifer apart are her intangible personality traits brought forth in her training classes and with BDR coaching clients: her ability to motivate clients to BELIEVE that there is a better way; to trust in themselves and step away from the money-losing norms of the industry; to venture out with Jennifer on a journey of far superior service performance, great departmental morale, superior customer satisfaction, and retention, and exceptional management leadership skills. Jennifer is a master at finding a path forward that clients can believe in while holding them accountable for their success.
The building blocks of Jennifer’s career started with Jacob’s Heating & Air, where she worked for three years as a Sales Coordinator and Residential Retrofit Coordinator, three years as a New Construction Coordinator, and seven years as a Service Manager.
Jennifer transformed the service department from a money-loser to the highest margin department in the company. Over six years, Jennifer took over a department with ten trucks generating $600,000 annually, for an average of $5,000 in revenue per month per truck. Six years later, Jennifer’s service department was doing $2.3m with seven service trucks, averaging $27,380 in revenue per month, per truck. Jennifer’s service department generated a 65% gross margin and a 30%+ net profit margin while reducing direct and overhead costs by three trucks, or about $360,000 in annual cost reductions.
Jennifer also developed its Commercial Maintenance Sales (CMS) program and sales processes from scratch. She hired the company’s first CMS Representative, which required a nine-month ramp-up period for sales to become meaningful. CMS grew from less than 100 unprofitable accounts to 350+ profitable ones in four years. The original 100 accounts required two years of hard work to bring profitability, and Jennifer retained 95% of them. Her CMS accounts program generated a profitable 55-60% gross margin.
In 2003, Jennifer’s life led her toward BDR as a Service Coach. In 2005, her role expanded, adding Service Trainer to her resume. With BDR’s growth, Jennifer was promoted to Senior Service Trainer and Senior Service Profit Coach. Instrumental in the co-development of BDR’s Service training and coaching programs, she has a proven track record of helping contractors and dealers transform their service department from an underperforming asset into a highly-prized, cash-flow-rich profit center.
- Conducted over 400 training classes across the US & Canada as a Senior Service Trainer
- Managing & Growing Service Profitably
- Service Dispatch University
- Residential Maintenance: Maximize Profits Through Lifetime Clients
- Top Gun Technician Excellence
- Commercial Maintenance Sales
- Worked with over 250 Service Departments across the US & Canada as a Senior Service Profit Coach
- Expertise focus is HVAC, with experience in Refrigeration, Plumbing, Electrical, & Solar
- Worked with departments ranging in size from three techs to 80 techs, spanning every type of market from large to small, metro to rural, high-income to low-income.
- Expert in Flat Rate systems, accessory programs, and maintenance agreement programs
- Expert in service operations, dispatching, performance tracking, and reporting
- Prime Resources – Defining Your Target Market in Commercial Maintenance
- Prime Resources – Why Dispatchers Can Make or Break a Service Department
- Prime Resources – Overcoming Maintenance Pricing Fears